Wednesday, October 13, 2010

More fun with t-shirts

I have a lot of posty catching up to do... Took pictures of lots of crafty things yesterday. Right now, I think I will share some more t-shirt projects.

Here is another freezer paper stencil job.

Shiz is the school from the musical Wicked. Galinda (Glinda) and Elphaba (Wicked Witch of the West) meet there. I made this for my cousin, as she really likes Wicked and I thought this would be sort of a funny design. I used the font "Varsity". It was a two part stencil job, and I admittedly did not do the greatest job with part two (where the letters got filled in), but I think it looks acceptable. It wasn't until I was halfway done that I realized they actually make an official shirt like this. I made this one from a tee I picked up at the thrift store for a buck.




Also made from t-shirts are these reusable shopping bags. Kind of hard to tell that, I guess.... second shot may help. Basically you chop off the arms, some of the neck, and sew the bottom shut. I put gussets in mine so the bottom would be flat, as well. I got the idea from Martha Stewart... even did an I <3 NY one like her's, obviously.




I probably made about 10? All with shirts I got from the thrift store for $.50 or $1.00. Mostly done with locale shirts. Some CO and Santa Fe ones for my mom (places I've lived that she's visited), and then the ones as above. I was thinking of giving some of these to Tom's mom. She likes Europe, and I did a Mediterranean and London one... she likes NY as well. Tom doesn't think she'd use them, though. I did Link (Olde School), Thor (Marvel... this is my favorite one), and Vegas ones for myself, and I have to admit, I keep forgetting to use them myself. I have them in my car. I think it's just going to be a matter of forming the habit.

Anyhow, these are super quick, fun, cheap, and seem really sturdy. I tried carrying around a huge thing of laundry detergent in mine and it did just dandy. Obviously, the size of the shirt will sort of dictate what you can use the bag for. I made one with a 2X shirt that I've used as an overnight bag. I think small and medium are really ideal stand-ins for your typical plastic grocery sacks, though.

Have fun scouring the thrift store :D

No comments: